Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation

Taking Precautions at Beijing Bars and Nightclubs

The U.S. Embassy has seen an increase in reports of violence against U.S. citizens at bars and nightclubs in Beijing.  The most recent incidents began as disputes over small matters, such as spilled drinks or laughter that was taken as a gibe, and then developed into serious altercations resulting in injuries. 

In recent weeks, the U.S. Embassy received several reports about the unprovoked harassment of U.S. citizens, including two incidents that occurred at the Club Latte nightclub on the property of Worker’s Stadium near the Sanlitun bar district.  In light of these incidents, the U.S. Embassy has advised U.S. government personnel to avoid going to Club Latte.  You should take this information into consideration when making entertainment plans. 

In order to avoid becoming the victim of such an attack, please follow these safety tips:

·  Pay attention to your surroundings.  If you feel unsafe or believe that other bar/club patrons or staff wish you ill, leave.  Don’t stick around on principle.

·   When going to bars and clubs, go with other people. (The more, the merrier, the safer!)

·   If you want to go to a new bar or club, learn about it first.  English publications geared to the expatriate community may have information about recent criminal incidents.

·   Carry a cell phone at all times.

·    If you are the victim of a crime or you have been threatened, seek safety.  Notify the nearest police station and call the U.S. Embassy at the emergency after-hours number given below.

The U.S. Embassy can be reached 24 hours per day.  During business hours, call 86-10-8531-4000 or email  For emergencies after hours or on weekends, call 86-10-8531-3000.  The Embassy is located near the Line 10 LiangMaQuiao subway stop at 55 An Jia Lou Road, Chaoyang District.   The Embassy’s website is

If you are residing or traveling in China we recommend that you enroll with the U.S. Embassy’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program at:   You should also regularly monitor the Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs Internet website at while living or travelling abroad.