Ambassador Gary F. Locke
Ambassador Gary F. Locke
On March 9, 2011, President Barack Obama nominated Gary Locke to be the 10th Ambassador of the United States of America to the People’s Republic of China. He was confirmed by the Senate on July 27, 2011 and was sworn in on August 1, 2011. He assumed duty as the Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary to the People's Republic of China on August 13, 2011.
Previously, Ambassador Locke served as the Secretary of Commerce where he helped implement President Obama's ambitious agenda to turn around the economy and put people back to work. As the administration’s point person for achieving the President’s National Export Initiative, he presided over a 17 percent increase in exports from 2009 to 2010, while exports to China saw a 32 percent increase. Ambassador Locke also oversaw a significant first step in the president’s export control reform effort that strengthens national security, while making U.S. companies more competitive by easing their licensing burden for exports to partners and allies.
Before his appointment to the President’s Cabinet, Ambassador Locke served two terms as Governor of Washington, the nation’s most trade-dependent state. He expanded the sale of Washington products and services by leading 10 productive trade missions to Asia, Mexico and Europe. During the eight years of the Locke administration, Washington State gained 280,000 jobs despite two national recessions.
As both Governor and Commerce Secretary, Locke’s innovations in government efficiency, customer focus, and priority based budgeting, as well as successful and under-budget management of high risk initiatives, have won him acclaim by nationally recognized authors and organizations, including Harvard’s Kennedy School of Government.
Along with his longstanding commitment to public service, Ambassador Locke has extensive experience working with China. As Secretary of Commerce, he co-chaired two sessions of the U.S.-China Joint Commission on Commerce and Trade that resulted in important changes to Chinese trade policy, helping to level the playing field for U.S. businesses exporting to and operating in China. As Governor of Washington, he successfully strengthened economic ties between China and Washington State, more than doubling the state's exports to China to over $5 billion per year. As a partner in the Seattle office of the international law firm, Davis Wright Tremaine LLP, he co-chaired the firm's China practice.
Ambassador Locke is the first Chinese-American to serve as Ambassador to China, as Secretary of Commerce and as Governor. His grandfather emigrated from China to Washington State, initially finding employment as a servant, working in exchange for English lessons. His father, also born in China, was a small business owner, operating a grocery store where Ambassador Locke worked while receiving his education from Seattle's public school system.
Ambassador Locke earned a bachelor's degree in political science from Yale University and a law degree from Boston University. He is married to Mona Lee Locke and they have three children together: Emily, Dylan, and Madeline.
Remarks by the Ambassador
- 02/28/14 - Ambassador Locke’s Farewell Statement to the Chinese People
- 02/26/14 - Ambassador Locke's Remarks at Beijing American Center
- 01/23/14 - Ambassador Locke’s Statement on the Trial of Xu Zhiyong
- 01/17/14 – Ambassador Locke’s Remarks at Renmin University Law School
- Statement by Ambassador Gary F. Locke on the Occasion of Human Rights Day 2013
- 11/18/13 - Ambassador Locke's Remarks at Caijing Annual Conference
- 11/14/13 - Ambassador Locke's Remarks at Ambassador Intellectual Property Rights Roundtable
- 11/12/13 - Ambassador Locke's Remarks at BIO Conference
- 10/23/13 - Ambassador Locke's Remarks at MPA Film Forum
- 08/29/13 - Ambassdor Locke's Remarks at U.S.-China Friendship Volunteer Program
- 08/21/13 - Ambassador Locke's Remarks at Cascade Senior Living Opening Ceremony
- 07/13/13 - Statement by Ambassador Locke on the Passing of a Third Chinese Victim in the Crash of Asiana Flight 214
- 04/29/13 - Ambassador Locke's Statement on the Passing of Bishop Jin of Shanghai
- 04/25/13 - Ambassador Locke's Remarks at Xinjiang University
- 04/09/13 - Ambassador Locke's Remarks on Microsoft Forum
- 02/25/13 - Ambassador Locke's Remarks on Rule of Law: The Key to Peace and Prosperity
- 02/05/13 - Ambassador Locke's Remarks at Goldman Sachs Macro Conference
- 01/17/13 - Ambassador Locke's Remarks at the Economist China Summit
- 12/05/12 - Keynote Address Gary F. Locke United States Ambassador to China Ambassador’s Investment Forum
- 09/24/12 - Ambassador Locke's Remarks at the “Select USA - Invest in America” Seminar
- 09/09/12 - Ambassador Locke's Speech at the U.S.-China Investment Forum
- 09/01/12 - Ambassador Locke's Remarks at East-West Center Conference Yingjie Exchange Center, Peking University
- 06/08/12 - Ambassador Locke's Remarks on Announcing Expansion of U.S. Consulate General Wuhan
- 05/25/12 - Ambassador Locke's Remarks at Memorial Day
- 05/17/12 - Ambassador Locke's Remarks at the Opening Ceremony of U.S.-China Joint Training Program for Afghan Diplomats
- 05/03/12 - Ambassador Locke Interviewed by Stan Grant of CNN on Chen Guangcheng
- 05/03/12 - Ambassador Locke Interviewed by Karson Yiu of ABC News on Chen Guangcheng
- 05/03/12 - Ambassador Locke Interviewed by Ian Williams of NBC on Chen Guangcheng
- 05/03/12 - Ambassador Locke Interviewed by Marsh Cooke of CBS on Chen Guangcheng
- 05/03/12 - Ambassador Locke On-The-Record Briefing on Chen Guangcheng
- 04/13/12- Ambassador Locke Interviewed by Peoples Daily Editors
- 04/12/12 - Ambassador Locke's Roundtable on Intellectual Property Protection
- 03/30/12 - Ambassador Locke's Town Hall Meeting with Baidu Employees
- 03/19/12 - Ambassador Locke's Remarks at the 7th Annual Barnett-Oksenberg Lecture
- 02/14/12 - Ambassador Locke: Shared Journey, Shared Responsibility
- 02/09/12 - Ambassador Locke's Announces New Interview Waiver Pilot Program
- 01/19/12 - Ambassador Locke On the Occasion of the 2012 New Year of the Dragon
- 12/15/11 - Ambassador Locke's Remarks to the Caijing Annual Conference
- 12/10/11 - Ambassador Locke's statement On the Occasion of Human Rights Day
- 12/01/11 - Ambassador Locke: China and America: Leading With Science, Uniting for Action on HIV/AIDS
- 11/22/11 - Ambassador Locke's Remarks at the Meeting with Chongqing Party Secretary Bo Xilai
- 11/18/11 - Ambassador Locke's Remarks at The Economist Summit
- 11/22/11 - Ambassador Locke Interviewed by China News Service
- 11/03/11 - Ambassador Locke's Remarks to the American Chamber of Commerce in South China
- 10/13/11 - Ambassador Locke Outlines Initiatives to Strengthen U.S.-China Economic Ties before American Chamber of Commerce in Shanghai
- 09/20/11 - Ambassador Locke's Remarks to the American Chamber of Commerce in China and the U.S.-China Business Council
- 09/11/11 - Ambassador Locke's Remarks at the 10th Anniversary of 9/11 Memorial
- 09/09/11 - Ambassador Locke Addresses Students and Faculty of Beijing Foreign Studies University
- 08/22/11 - Ambassador Locke at Ceremony for Peace Corps Volunteers in China
- 08/14/11 - Ambassador Locke's Remarks at Residence Press Gathering
Swearing-In Ceremony for Locke
- Secretary Clinton: Well, I am so delighted that this day has finally come. (Laughter.) And I am especially grateful to Gary and Mona and their children and to all of you for your patience and persistence in ensuring that we would be here at the swearing-in of Gary Locke as our ambassador to the People's Republic of China. Click here for more.