Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Visa Types

Student Visas

An Interview is required for all first-time student applicants, even if the applicant is under 14 years of age. Interview for Your U.S. Student Visa Two Months Before Your Program Starts!

The U.S. Embassy in Beijing is urging all students and exchange visitors planning to study or do research in the U.S. to appear for their visa interviews two months before their programs start. Interest in studying in the United States continues to grow and record numbers of students are applying for visas. Student and exchange visitor visas can take up to two months to process. >>More

U.S. immigration law provides two nonimmigrant visa categories for study in the United States. The "F" visa is for academic studies, and the "M" visa is for nonacademic or vocational studies. In order to obtain a student visa, you must first apply to and be accepted at a school in the U.S. Once you have been accepted, the school will forward you a form called the I-20 or I-20M. You must present this form in order to get a visa. 

An applicant for a student visa to the US must first demonstrate that s/he is a bona-fide student qualified to pursue a full course of study. The applicant must also demonstrate that s/he is seeking to enter the U.S. temporarily and solely for the purpose of pursuing such a course of study at an established academic institution. Lastly, the applicant must demonstrate their ability to pay for tuition and living expenses for the course of their studies.

All F and M applicants should prepare to present the following documentation and any other relevant information at the time of the interview:

  1. Valid Passport: If your passport will expire less than 6 months from your planned arrival in the United States, or is damaged, or you do not have a page for a visa, please get a new passport before your interview.
  2. The DS-160 application form confirmation page, with the telecodes for your name, your name, home address, company name and company address written in Hanzi handwritten on your form. When printing out your confirmation page, please set “page layout” to “portrait”. Please bring the printed, not the faxed confirmation page to your interview. Please click here for an example. If you need telecodes, please click here.
  3. One photograph: Two inches square (51mm x 51mm) color photograph, less than 6 months old, against a white background, full frontal view. Click for more information on photo requirements. Please use scotch tape to stick your photo on the front cover of your passport.
  4. Original Bank Receipt for Application Fee: The 1008 RMB application fee may be paid at any CITIC Bank branch in China. Please glue or tape the application fee receipt onto the bottom of DS-160 form confirmation page. Please click here for an example. 
  5. Passports containing all previous U.S. visas, even if expired.
  6. Completed SEVIS Form: I-20A-B (for F1 students) or Form I-20M-N (for M-1 students) properly completed and signed by both the Designated School Official (DSO) and the applicant. Name on form must exactly match the name in your passport and has been entered into the SEVIS system by the U.S. academic institution. Click for more information on SEVIS.
  7. SEVIS Fee Receipt: Most J, F, and M applicants must now pay a SEVIS fee. Please bring an electronic receipt or I-797 receipt to your interview. Click for information on how to pay the SEVIS fee.
  8. Proof of Ties to China: Proof of economic, social, family, or other commitments that will help demonstrate your intent to return to China after a temporary stay in the U.S.
  9. Proof of Finances: Proof that you can support yourself during your entire stay in the U.S. without working.
  10. Research/Study Plan: Detailed information about your planned studies or research in the U.S. including the name and e-mail address of your advising professor and/or the head of your department in the U.S. Please click here for a sample research proposal / study plan.
  11. Resume/CV: Detailed information about your past academic and professional experience, including a complete list of all publications to which you have contributed. Please click here for a sample resume.
  12. Official Transcripts of Returning Students: Student visa applicants returning to schools in the U.S. should submit their official transcripts of their coursework with their applications.
  13. Advisor Biography: Graduate students who have already been assigned an advising professor at their U.S. university should bring a copy of the advisor's biography, CV or webpage.

The above items should not be considered an exhaustive list and presentation of these documents does not guarantee visa issuance.  Be prepared to explain to the visa officer and present evidence regarding why you are going to the US and why you will return to China.

We Want You to Know

Adobe Reader

  • Download Free
    Download Free

    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format.  To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  You may download a free version by clicking the link above.